On Your Side

Rights Of Unmarried Couples Are Important When There Are Children Involved

When an unmarried couple breaks up, the process may be much simpler than most divorces. If that couple has children, however, they may need legal help to navigate custody issues. When a married couple has a child, the law presumes the husband to be the father. An unmarried couple must establish paternity to give the father legal rights and responsibilities. My name is Robin Jill Schneider, and I’m a New Jersey Supreme Court-certified matrimonial law attorney who can guide you through this process. If you aren’t married but need to determine child custody, contact my firm today online for help. 

Establishing Paternity In New Jersey

There are two basic ways to establish paternity in New Jersey. Both parents can sign a certificate of parentage before leaving the hospital when the child is born to add the father to the birth certificate. Establishing paternity later often requires no more than a DNA test. If either party has doubts about paternity, they can contest or prove paternity by submitting a DNA test. Once paternity is established, the couple needs to work out issues of child support and custody.

Unmarried Couples Have Fewer Property Rights

Property rights are not as defined for unmarried couples as they are for married ones. Unmarried people do not automatically receive support payments, and purchasing property together may create problems if the relationship ends.

A cohabitation agreement can provide clarity, especially if you are investing in property together. A cohabitation agreement can answer questions about what type of property each person started with, how you will divide property you buy together and whether you will pay each other support.

Protect Your Rights Today

I am here to help you pursue your legal rights. Call the Robin Jill Schneider law firm today at 732-812-4944 for a free initial consultation, or send the firm an email. At my Matawan firm, I represent clients in Middlesex, Monmouth and Ocean counties.